Centre for Democracy and Development Jobs in Nigeria 2019
Job Vacancies at The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) in Nigeria July 2019
Career Vacancy : Factchecker Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Senior Communications Officer Job Recruitment
The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) was established in the United Kingdom in 1997 and subsequently registered in Lagos – Nigeria in 1999 as an independent, not-for-profit, research, training, advocacy and capacity building organisation.
The Centre was established to mobilise global opinion and resources for democratic development and provide an independent space to reflect critically on the challenges posed to the democratization and development processes in West Africa, and also to provide alternatives and best practices to the sustenance of democracy and development in the region.
We require qualified person to fill the positions below:
Job Title: Factchecker
Period: 8 months
- To keep continuously abreast of developments in social and traditional media spaces on issues relating to politics and election ahead of the 2019 general elections;
- To regularly identify fake news, misinformation and disinformation in the country;
- To promptly respond to fake news, disinformation and misinformation by developing and releasing well-researched articles to counter them;
- To use the tools of infographics, short videos, illustrations, etc, to widely disseminate responses and enlighten Nigerians on the effect of the phenomenon;
- To work closely with social media influencers/enthusiast to publicize rebuttals and leverage on their platforms to neutralize the effects of fake news, misinformation and disinformation.
- First degree in Political Science, Development Studies and other relevant programmes
- Experienced in factchecking principles, techniques and methods.
- Experienced in using social media platforms in professional capacity.
Skills and Abilities:
- Critical thinking and high level of attention to details
- Interest in/knowledge of Nigerian politics (but an ability to retain high level of professional impartiality)
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills including demonstrated writing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong IT Skills in MS Office, specifically MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
Job Title: Senior Communications Officer
- Coordinate the communication unit of the organization.
- Ensures the promotion of the organization’s brand identity.
- Develop and implement an integrated and innovative communications strategy that supports the Centre’s work and goal.
- Work with colleague to manage the Centre’s websites, print publications, social media channels, and other media outlet to promoting the work of the organization.
- Coordinates and works with graphic designer/animation to develop compelling and effective visuals for amplifying the work of the Centre.
- Write press statements on issues the organization is working on and coordinate its dissemination amongst media partners.
- Develop and maintain a database of media partners.
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists, bloggers, and media experts to advance our work
- Master Degree in Mass Communication, English Language, Communication Art, Language Art or any related course.
- Experience as an editor in a reputable newspaper house while not compulsory will be an advantage.
- At least 3 years cognate experience
- Fluency in both English and French is an advantage,
- Experience in web design and content production is a plus
- Solid understanding of project management principles
- Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities
- Excellent analytical, writing and ‘actioning’ skills
- Ability to thrive under pressure with limited support
- Effective and persuasive communication skills
- Excellent inter-personal, presentational and public speaking skills
- Excellent IT Skills
Job Title: Graphics Designer/Animation
- Create graphics, animations, videos, and web interfaces for web portals
- Lead the process of storyboarding to communicate the work of the organization.
- Conduct research and create prototypes of e-learning products
- Conceptualizes, designs, and produce graphics demonstrating complex technical constructs and concepts
- Create interactive or animated graphics and videos using a variety of tools.
- Collaborate and communicate with other developers, instructional designers and graphic artists
- Propose creative solutions and designs.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Experience with developing user interface designs and other multimedia products.
- Experience with graphic design packages including adobe creative suite, Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Freehand, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and 3D Studio
- Experience using simulation tools including Captivate and Camtasia.
- Experience with a content management system is a plus
- Understanding of learning theories and pedagogy for both children and adults
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a one page Application plus a maximum 3 page CV to: email@example.com
- Subject line of emails must state clearly the Name of Applicant and Job Title of position applied for. For example, Subject: Ayobami Fatimah Chukwuemeka, Fact Checker.
- Only Electronically submitted applications will be entertained.
- Scanned applications will be disregarded.
- Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls, please.
- CDD is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply for this job
Application Deadline 14th July, 2019.