Job For Principal Legal Counsel at AfDB in Nigeria June 2019
Job Vacancy For Principal Legal Counsel at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB) in Nigeria June 2019
Career Vacancy : Principal Legal Counsel Job Description
Employment Opportunity : African Development Bank Group Job Recruitment
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Legal Counsel
Position N°: 50000638 / 50000659
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat(PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL) delivers legal advice and services to the statutory organs of the Bank group: Boards of the Bank Group (the Bank), to Senior Management, to Directorate General Regional Hubs and more generally to the whole Bank. PGCL also protects the interest of the Bank from legal liability and as necessary ensures an appropriate legal defence in cases filed against or brought by the Bank.
- The role of PGCL.4 is to provide legal advice and assistance in connection with:
- Litigation of any nature brought by or against the Bank (including legal action against the Bank through its own internal recourse mechanisms),
- All legal aspects pertaining to the Bank’s rules, regulations, procedures and processes in respect of human resources management including employment contracts, staff performance management, benefits, discipline and separation,
- Institutional procurement,
- (iv) corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of various Bank instruments, and (v) insurance and pension matters,
- Cooperation with public sector or private sector entities, including NGOs.
- The Principal Legal Counsel will ensure the correct interpretation of, and compliance with, the various Bank’s policies, rules, regulations and procedures applicable to staff (including Staff Regulations and Staff Rules, applicable Presidential Directives and Administrative Instructions), corporate procurement, and delegation of authority.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, PGCL.4, the Principal Legal Counsel will:
- Advise on, negotiate, and prepare contracts for the acquisition of goods and services for the Bank including consulting and professional services, intellectual property, technology and other products, in accordance with the Bank’s procurement rules and financial regulations, and provide legal support and advice regarding existing contracts or new contracts to be entered into the Bank; and advise on the legal aspects of matters arising in the course of contractual relations with external parties;
- Advise on administrative and human resources management matters of the Bank, including the drafting, reviewing and amending of contracts and legal documents and advising on legal questions relating to personnel matters;
- Advise on insurance matters and on administrative and policy matters concerning Staff Retirement Plan and Medical Benefits Plan, and provide legal support that may be required in respect of the Staff Retirement Plan and the Medical Benefits Plan;
- Advise on and provide legal support in the negotiation and finalization of legal instruments of co-operation between the Bank and the Fund and bilateral, multilateral and other partners;draft, negotiate and finalize host agreements and other instruments required to ensure the Bank’s presence in its member countries;
- Maintain contact with legal services of other multilateral institutions and of member states and with the legal profession in general in member states of the Bank on matters relating to the functions and activities of the Bank and the Fund;
- Undertake such other assignments as required.
- Advise on constitutional and corporate legal issues arising from the interpretation and application of the Agreement Establishing the African Development Bank (the Bank) and the African Development Fund (the Fund);
- Advise on, draft, vet and revise legal documentation relating to the organization, structure, and administration of the Bank, the Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund (together “the Bank Group”) and the relations of the Bank Group with international organizations and with member and non-member states, including matters pertaining to the privileges, immunities and exemptions of the Bank and the Fund and those of officers, employees, experts and consultants of the Bank;
- Prepare submissions and represent the Bank in litigation, arbitration, other administrative or legal proceedings including internal administrative review and appeal and tribunal proceedings and other matters in which the Bank is a party or may have an interest;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the current trend of developments and familiarity with international law, and related matters
- Skills in drafting of legal documents including briefs and confidential legal opinions, resolutions for Boards of Directors, preparing certificates, leading the negotiation of host countries agreements or technology contracts and partnership agreements;
- Strong negotiation skills in relation to a varied range of legal documents. .
- Ability to work and deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build and maintain effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to apply his / her legal knowledge and experience to deliver the full scope of strategic legal services
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally in English and preferably with a working knowledge of French.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
- At least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Law, or a Juris Doctor (JD) and admission to the Bar of one of the member countries of the African Development Bank;
- A minimum of Six (6) years of relevant experience preferably with an established law firm or an international financial institution, with proven administrative experience;
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines.
- Good communication and inter-personal skillswith the ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results that meet the needs of the Legal Service Departments and the Regional Directorate Hub’s work programs.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 22nd June, 2019.