Stakeholder Democracy Network (SDN) is an International non-governmental organisation that helps facilitate community development from a rights-based perspective. SDN operates in the Niger Delta where it is helping the communities affected by oil exploitation and the challenges of resource curse. SDN has five pillar issues that represent significant long held grievances and acute problems that we are trying to resolve. These are: Access to Energy, Democratisation, Environment, Resilient Communities, and Resource Governance.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers
Reports to: Senior Project Officer (Environment)
- To support the development and implementation of SDN projects and activities in its Environment and Resource Governance pillars.
- This role will require the individual to take full responsibility for the completion and success of projects and ensure project adherence to the PMEL process.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Strategy and Programme Development 20%
- External Relations and Communications 10%
- Fundraising 10%
- Programme Implementation 60%
Strategy and Programme Development:
- Assist in the development and implementation of SDN’s mission and vision in the Niger Delta
- Contribute to develop and deepen SDN’s understanding of its focus areas and methods
- Contribute to internal and external discussions on environmental issues, legislative and regulatory frameworks in the oil and gas sector.
- Assist with regular analysis of environmental issues in the Niger Delta
- Contribute to the process of planning, development and implementation of environmental projects
- Support the development and implementation of research and data collection processes
- Assist in organising and facilitating dialogue meetings, workshops and seminars with government representatives, civil society and other relevant project stakeholders
- Deliver insightful project communications that feed the SDN external communications process
- Take full ownership and responsibility for one of SDN’s functional pillar on Environmental rights
- Support the analysis, review and final output process for all project reporting
External Relations and Communications:
- Identify, build and leverage relationships that are key to promoting stability and development in the Niger Delta
- Contribute to the SDN external communications process by writing articles for the website and email distribution
- Design and implement project communications plans that feed the SDN external communications process
- Hold regular communication and networking with local partners, local and national institutions and external actors
- Contribute in developing appropriate strategies for advocacy with key SDN partners
- Identify and develop sources of funding that will complement SDN’s strategy and projects within the Niger Delta
- Lead the funding application process from the initial development of concepts notes to full application submission
Assessment of candidates will be based on proven experience and capacity with evidence of the following or equivalent experience as follows:
- Post graduate degree in Environment, Resource Governance or related field;
- Spoken and written fluency in English – Written articles / examples of your writing ability in relation to environmental issues in Nigeria;
- Demonstrate knowledge of key legislation and regulatory frameworks that govern environmental management and the oil and gas industry
- Proven experience supporting and managing project staff;
- Donor reporting experience At least five (5) years of experience in environment, resource governance, peace-building, development, and/or related fields, including democracy and governance issues;
- Proven ability to negotiate multiple relationships with various partners;
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and program administration of grants; knowledge of major donor rules and regulations, and the ability to manage multi-donor funding;
- Demonstrated planning (including budgeting) and proposal writing skills;
- At least 4 years’ experience in managing Environmental projects and engaging in key advocacy activities
- IT skills: word, excel and online communication skills;
- Strong oral and written communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, as well as the ability to build and conduct effective professional working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally.
Commensurate with experience and education, with excellent benefits.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and CV as a single document to: firstname.lastname@example.org and CC email@example.com with Project Officer – Environment as the subject.
Note: Your application will be acknowledged but only shortlisted candidates will receive further correspondence.