RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chief of Party
Job ID: 19027
- RTI is recruiting for an existing project that is working to strengthen water and sanitation services in 6 states across Nigeria: Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger, Sokoto and Taraba. E-WASH supports the state water utilities and government counterparts to increase the viability of these water utilities and thus improve essential services while simultaneously working with federal ministries, civil society, and key stakeholders to strengthen transparency, accountability and advocacy for better services across the water and sanitation sectors. RTI’s efforts will conclude in February 2022.
- The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) is responsible for providing day?to?day project leadership in all operational, financial and logistical activities including: oversight of a large finance and operations team, grants under contract, and a $19 million Utility Support Fund. This is a full-time role based in Abuja, Nigeria. This position reports to the Chief of Party (COP).
- Supervise the project’s administration staff, providing oversight to the overall project management and human resources functions.
- Ensure adherence to RTI and USAID administration policies and procedures;
- Oversee subcontracts and/or grants to local partners; train and provide guidance to subcontract/grantee finance managers on managing project expense to annual work plan and contract budgets, as needed; ensure that all contractual documentation is complete and compliant with the terms of the reference in the contract.
- Serve as the project liaison with human resources on employee relations matters and documentation for adverse events.
- Ensure that state-based teams are operating in full compliance with project rules and procedures.
- Serve as DCOP on the project, assisting the COP in management and decision-making and ensuring that project activities are meeting client and stakeholder expectations;
- Oversee all project operations to ensure effective, responsive and timely support to Abuja and state-based implementation needs;
- Oversee all finance, HR, information technology (IT), procurement, logistics, and administrative aspects of the project.
- Work with RTI International’s internal auditing system to ensure appropriate systems and procedures are in place for timely and cost-effective disbursement, accounting, budgeting, and reporting of project funds, with proper internal controls.
- Oversee project reporting and operations to ensure compliance with the terms of the agreement, RTI systems and procedures and USAID rules and regulations, including oversight to grants and Utility Support Fund;
- Oversee the Security Manager and liaise with RTI Security staff to review, manage and adapt security protocols to respond to a fluid operating environment;
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in public administration, financing, economics, accounting or a related field (Master’s degree preferred);
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in operations management (15 years’ experience required with Bachelor’s degree only), with 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries;
- Prior experience working in challenging and insecure operating environments, strongly preferred
- Prior experience managing administration / operations for large-scale USAID programs;
- Experience with administration and functional team management on USAID-funded contracts;
- Experience setting-up and maintaining strong internal control mechanisms;
- Experience overseeing security functions within similar challenging and insecure operating environments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated skills, abilities, and experiences to manage sub-contracts and sub-grants;
- Strong verbal and written English communications skills;
- Willing to travel within Nigeria and be based in Abuja, long-term.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and/or experiences in financial planning and management, and procurement, among other management support areas/functions, as required;
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply