Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihood Programme Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35
Contract Length: 6 months
Expected Travel Per Annum: 60 days
- Supports the development and implementation of all aspects of the programme including performance management, assessments, designing, planning, implementation, monitoring staff capacity building, reporting and technical support to the agricultural recovery and sustainable livelihoods programme.
- To be responsible for supporting and managing Christian Aid partnerships and projects as well as the effective implementation of Livelihoods programme in Monguno and other locations within Borno State. To contribute to the development of Christian Aid Livelihood and Resilience Strategy with focus on both agriculture and non-agricultural based recovery initiatives for communities affected by conflict. Engage with relevant stakeholders and promote livelihood and resilience strategy with institutional donors.
- To contribute to the representation, brand management of Christian Aid project portfolio, engage with and promote programme communication and fundraising, with institutional donors. Understanding of the sustainable livelihoods’ framework, understanding of agricultural recovery, resilience framework, humanitarian preparedness and response, value chain analysis, farming as a business and engaging market player, rural finance, facilitating linkages and creating space for various players in the market to interact and enabling markets to work for the poor in fostering agricultural recovery.
- The role works within the International Programmes role family positioned in Maiduguri, the role is part of the wider Nigeria Country Humanitarian Response Team.
- The role works closely and directly with The Senior Programme Coordinator (SPC) Livelihood and Resilience based in Maiduguri and Humanitarian Response Manager as well as other colleagues from the Nigeria team in the design, proposal development for fundraising, implementation and monitoring of key outcomes.
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent trips to other project locations in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa of Nigeria.
- The role holder will directly line manage and support all the livelihood programme staff based in Monguno and externally represent CA in sustainable livelihoods, agricultural recover resilience. In addition is working with humanitarian markets, private sector, value chain and market system development and encouraging entrepreneurial approaches based on WFP, FAO and other donor funded agricultural recovery requirements. Furthermore, support the livelihood programme team reporting in accordance with Christian Aid’s and donor requirements.
- WFP Funded livelihood and resilience projects are successfully managed following both WFP and Christian Aid’s humanitarian policies and procedures.
- Christian Aid is represented at all levels, national and internationally.
- Oversee the timely field implementation of Livelihood and resilience project according to proposals and ensure compliance with all donor requirements.
- Assess livelihood, agriculture needs based on a variety of sources, including assessments, technical data, early warning information, and reports from NGOs, the UN and other actors
- As a livelihood and resilience expert, coordinate on the general humanitarian response with all stakeholders including humanitarian actors, Missions, Embassies, host governments, NGOs, and donors;
- This includes representing Christian Aid in Food sector cluster and working group meetings and donor meetings. This also includes engagement with networks in order to increase the profile and visibility of Christian Aid.
- Effective projects and programmes delivered with impact in line with agreed aims.
- Project proposals completed, based on strong planning and evaluation procedures using Christian Aid’s internal systems. Funds used for designated purposes.
- Support the team in Monguno strengthen and promote community engagement processes in the project areas, particularly identifying project beneficiaries, assessing their needs, addressing and resolving community issues.
- Compliance with financial policies and procedures especially regarding WFP coordination requirements and other donor projects, but including reporting requirements and contribution made to other team members in the development and implementation, staff capacity building and training
- Significant grant proposals focusing on broad sustainable livelihoods, agricultural recovery, resilience work, private sector partnerships and market systems development based on strong planning and evaluation procedures using Christian Aid’s internal systems.
- Communicate and coordinate with project staff on technical questions related to livelihoods, resilience building and agricultural recovery, work planning, programme implementation and provide technical support to developing policies, strategies and plans related to food security and livelihoods, resilience building and agricultural recovery.
- Participate in the recruitment, management and development of high performing team who are meeting their objectives and ensure a safe working environment for all people involved in project implementation and maintain the highest standards of behaviour when engaging with stakeholders and working with project beneficiaries.
- External: Represents Christian Aid with external actors including donors and government Working closely with Local and State governments stakeholder partners, LGA Agricultural Extension Officers, WFP and FAO Counterparts, Food Security Cluster Counterparts to ensure effective management and coordination of the programmes focusing on sustainable and livelihoods, resilience building, inclusive market development and entrepreneurship building.
- Internal: Works with the Maiduguri team and relevant country departments.
- Make decisions day-to-day decisions which ensures the all livelihood and resilience project are implemented in very highly effective and efficient manner.
- Leads Monguno field based-team and ensures the workgroup is effectively managed.
- Support the Senior Programme Coordinator (SPC) Livelihood and Resilience on WFP livelihood and resilience project budget tracking and other assignments
- Required to make significant decisions on programme work in the field special focus on Agricultural and Non-agricultural based Livelihoods and Resilience building based on Christian Aid strategic direction in Nigeria.
- The post holder is responsible for overall field level livelihood and resilience project and is expected to work with initiative and innovation, using their own analytical skills and make recommendations in close consultation with The Senior Programme Coordinator (SPC) Livelihood and Resilience to the humanitarian response manager and country team.
- Role holder must have the ability to collect and analyse data/intelligence from Agricultural Interventions, Sustainable Livelihoods Framework, Resilience analyses and interventions.
Developing Self and Others:
- The post holder is expected to work independently with support from the Senior Programme Coordinator (SPC) Livelihood and Resilience who provides leadership and influencing strategies within the team and ensuring upholding of humanitarian standards and principles by Christian Aid staff and partners. Key skills required are being able to effectively manage from a distance as well as be able to influence decisions of colleagues at all level range of seniority levels.
- May have the direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating one or more staff, undertakes performance reviews and development of action plans to improve the performance of others, whether staff or volunteers.
- Support the subject matter specialist based in Monguno and the entire team to better understand work on enabling poor people to strengthen their Sustainable Livelihoods, Resilience through accessing competitive markets and to adopt entrepreneurial approaches. Leading in developing staff and partners understanding of the Sustainable livelihood and the resilience framework.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- A degree in discipline related to Entrepreneurship studies, Agricultural Economics, Development Studies, Development Economics, Agriculture, Food Security and / Sociology or relevant discipline with at least 3 years’ experience. Postgraduate qualification is an added advantage.
- Good knowledge of and experience working with IDPs in Nigeria.
- Good understanding of gender-sensitive programming.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Have strong problem-solving abilities and capacity to solve complex issues related to projects’ delivery.
- Knowledge of capacity building tools; of Sphere and Red Cross Code of Conduct; of HAP standards.
- Detail orientation and ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Alternatively, Graduate qualification in any of Agricultural Economics, Development Studies, Development Economics, Agriculture, Food Security and / Sociology with at least 6 years’ experience.
- This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to work hard and achieve results in a demanding, fast paced and often insecure environment.
- At least 5 year of experience in Livelihoods, Market driven approaches, cash for work programming, post conflict agricultural recovery with understanding of agricultural extension and communication, entrepreneurship, agricultural nutrition intervention and vocational training.
- Minimum one-year aid-related International NGO experience in North-East Nigeria.
- Project management skills.
- Specialized qualification/Experience in Livelihoods and resilience programmes in emergency and/or rural development work.
- Ability to speak and understand basic Hausa
- Understanding of the political, social and economic context of the region and the humanitarian/development issues and challenges it faces of peace building and conflict resolution.
- Upholding the Humanitarian Principles and affirmatively engage the most vulnerable community members while valuing inclusiveness, transparency, accountability, agility, collaboration, innovation and sustainability
Full Time Salary
N8,501,197 per year.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th February, 2019.
Interview Date 27th February, 2019.