Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Village Savings & Loans Association (VSLA) Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contract length: 3 months
Slot: 3 Openings
- To contribute to Christian Aid humanitarian program in Borno state and to support the effective implementation of CAID Livelihood response in Shani Local Government Areas, Borno state.
- The Village Savings & Loans Association Assistant will be stationed in Christian Aid office, in Shani, Borno state.
- The VSLA Assistant will focus on village savings and loans associations and provide other IGA support as well as working in close collaboration with other field staff to ensure that related programme issues are coordinated.
- S/he be responsible for ensuring the implementation of the VSLA activities by coordinating with staff on the field and all stakeholders.
- Follow up with Village agents and groups to ensure timely implementation of activities.
- Support work plan development with all stakeholders for better project coordination’s.
- Prepare activities reports according to the agreed timeline and relevant templates.
- Perform any other duties as instructed by the FSL Coordinator
- Support the FSL and Livelihood Officer to conduct livelihood needs assessments and identify needs and opportunities in relation to IGA and other livelihood activities in implementing locations.
- Be the focal point for all VSLA activities within the implementing location.
- Prepare necessary documentation and reporting for activities implemented in accordance with donor and CA rules and regulations.
- The role holder should be able to ensure coordination with partners, donors, government and other stakeholders in the implementation of the VSLA activities.
- The role holder should be able to ensure coordination and support VSLA field activities at field level.
- The ability to make day to day decisions on issues around field activities to assist in the administration and smooth running of the VSLA project activities.
- Analytical skills desirable to perform day to day field support responsibilities
Developing Self and Others:
- Typically involved in developing others’ skills by directing project work or in coaching and mentoring others.
- May have the direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating one or more staff, undertakes performance reviews and development of action plans to improve the performance of others, whether staff or volunteers.
- Knowledge of the key issues and trends in Food Security and Livelihoods intervention
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; well organized, and able to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other relevant computer applications,
- A keen understanding of business/enterprise development and development issues including Groups Savings and Loan approaches
- Able to adapt to changing program priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiatives.
- Good planning and organizational skills coupled with problem-solving capabilities
- Hands-on community mobilization skills
- Experience in working in harsh climatic conditions and ability to communicate fluently in (Hausa) language will be an added advantage.
- Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Economics, Entrepreneurship or Sociology
- Minimum 1year experience setting up and implementing livelihoods or income generating projects preferably with an NGO in a host community or IDP setting
- Skills or training in basic bookkeeping or administration is desirable
- Prior experience working with local governments and stakeholders in the implementation of projects
- Familiarity with the culture of conflict and/or disaster-affected populations, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on sanitation and hygiene matters.
- Fluency in the language of the working area (Hausa) is appreciated and the international language used in the humanitarian operation
IT Competency Required:
Level 1 You are expected to be able to:
- Work in a collaborative way that develops positive relationships and proactively provides help to others
- Proactively participate in teamwork and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role.
- Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area.
- Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity, and respect, recognizing that people are different and have different views.
- Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Pass on messages or information promptly and accurately, ensuring clarity and understanding.
- Proactively question to clarify when needed.
- Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood.
- Be sensitive to and take responsibility for how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary
- Be responsible for using resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources.
- Recognize that time is a resource and take responsibility and proactive measures for managing your time effectively.
- Consider the consequences of your actions, and take responsibility for the impact on your work, your colleagues and team objectives.
- Be accountable for your actions.
- Agree your work plan and priorities, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed.
- Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations.
- Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed, ensuring appropriate sign-off.
- Respond promptly to the requests of others, handling competing priorities and seeking guidance on these where appropriate.
- Acknowledge gaps in your own knowledge and skills and seek out information and advice to learn.
- Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance.
- Assist others by showing how to complete tasks and sharing knowledge.
Strive for Improvement:
- Demonstrate openness and willingness to embrace change, be flexible and adapt to new methods of working.
- Respond quickly and positively to new initiatives.
- Find ways to make improvements in your work and ways of working.
- Show initiative when faced with problems and proactively seek solutions
- Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others
Salary (Full time)
N3,187,627 Salary (full time)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 19th December, 2018.
Interview Date 9th January, 2019.