Career Vacancy : IITA Nigeria Job Description
Employment Opportunity : Head of Monitoring and Evaluation Job Recruitment
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Monitoring and Evaluation
Location: Ibadan, Oyo.
- The Head of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) shall provide leadership for establishing and nurturing a strong, integrated and effective institutional M&E framework for IITA.
- Leadership tasks include, but are not limited to guiding the institution into building a strong M&E culture and practice; obtaining, institutionalizing and managing software platforms (MEL (and MARLO)) to automate the aggregation and presentation of necessary M&E data; providing oversight to ensure quality data collection, analysis, and reporting to IITA management, donors and other stakeholders in a timely manner; building and overseeing the implementation of a strategy for capacity development of M&E personnel, focal persons as well as key partners to ensure best practices.
- The Head of Monitoring and Evaluation shall provide support on proposal/strategy development, baseline and special studies, annual reporting, mid-term, and final evaluation methodologies; and facilitate critical reflection and learning across the institution based on information generated from the M&E system. In addition, contribute to increased appreciation of the need for quality M&E across the Institute, as well as increased confidence within the Unit by mentoring and appreciation of its personnel. S/he shall be based at the IITA headquarters in Ibadan, Nigeria and have close interaction with the four hubs, country offices, and IITA project sites. He/she will report to the Deputy Director General, Research for Development.
The specific responsibilities of the Head of M&E will include:
Institutional M&E Leadership (70%):
- Interact and contribute to data aggregation and alignment functions of IITA’s Institutional Performance Indicators and the CGIAR System Level Strategic Outcomes.
- Maintain/Develop M&E related collaborative relationships with strategic partners on behalf of IITA.
- Continuously review, the M&E framework and ensure existence of M&E competences throughout the institution in terms of human and resource capacity as well as an enabling environment.
- Identify and minimize existing M&E procedures leading to duplicated efforts in order to save IITA’s resources.
- Any other task that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Guide the conduct of M&E across all projects and programs of the institute.
- Institutionalize and manage the automation of M&E processes.
- Generate verifiable information for strategic decision-making through aggregation of data from all reporting levels.
- Lead the integration of results-based management into all interventions.
- Represent IITA on the CGIAR M&E groups, and regional M&E communities of practice.
- Review progress on achieving institutional objectives and provide IITA Management with information about important lessons learned and replicable practices.
- Collaborate with other research support units to implement knowledge management systems that provide up-to-date information on institutional performance and operational effectiveness.
- Collaborate with the impact assessment team to streamline methodologies for measuring results.
- Coordinate and lead the institute-wide M&E team that includes M&E professionals and focal persons of hubs or other projects.
Hub/Program/Project Level M&E Leadership (30%):
- Work with hub-level M&E personnel to review hub level M&E status and provide requisite support to strengthen the systems with specific attention to project inception, implementation and the various stages of project evaluations.
- Support program/project teams in development and implementation of M&E systems that satisfy institutional and donor standards, which include:
- M&E plans with clearly defined indicators reflecting causal models;
- Procedures for collection, collation, analysis, reporting, and use of data for decision-making;
- Monitoring, documentation and learning approaches that are integrated, aligned, and mainstreamed into project activities and coordinated with stakeholders;
- Plans for evaluation studies on outcome and impact level achievements.
- Develop staff capacity in maintaining data quality standards, and conduct data quality audits of all sources of M&E data that are reported.
- Support the use of appropriate software systems within the hubs, country offices and programs/projects as well as linkage to the institutional wide software system.
- The successful candidate should hold a PhD, MBA or similar advanced degree in a relevant field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent track record in developing M&E frameworks at institution and project level.
- Experience in institutionalizing and implementing results-based performance management.
- Proven leadership skills and sensitivity to cross-cultural and gender equity and diversity, and ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and time management skills.
- Knowledgeable in: – performance analysis indicators
- Logical framework approach
- Theory-based evaluation
- Formal survey techniques
- Rapid appraisal methods and other participatory methods
- Cost-benefit analysis and impact assessment approaches
- Conversant with database development, storage and management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English language are required with proficiency in other international languages viewed as a strong asset.
- The contract will be for an initial period of three years. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st January, 2019.