UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National U – Report Consultant
Job Number: 515991
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: The duration of this contract is 8 months
Purpose of Assignment
- Real-time open source technology like U-Report has been used from the earliest phase of a disaster response including for conducting rapid needs assessment; assessing the scale, severity and impact of the disaster directly from the affected population; and reporting issues and the immediate needs of affected peoples timely to relevant stakeholders/groups for immediate response. EMOPS Office of Innovations and Communication for Development are collaborating to identify the problems that our tools can address across UNICEF for affected population through implementation of U-Report as a tool to enhance community engagement in North East Nigeria.
- U-Report 24/7 will be created as the platform dedicated solely for use in supporting UNICEF’s emergency response. It will be available and accessible day and night to affected people, UNICEF partners and UNICEF staff as both a data collection tool and a resource for life saving information. U-Report 24/7 will collect real-time data including reports and complaints from affected citizens. The U-Report 24/7 tool will also be used to send messages in real-time to populations in the three States throughout the Humanitarian Programming Cycle including 1) assessment, 2) providing information 3) soliciting feedback 4) inputs from youth 4) accountability 5) best practices 6) training, capacity building 7) enhance preparedness among at risk population from an eminent hazard.
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
- Guidance note on the use of U-report in humanitarian action with tools on application of U-Report in Rapid Assessments and KAP studies in humanitarian context.
- Demonstration of adoption of U-Report by the Humanitarian Country Team as a tool to inform humanitarian response planning and a tool for engagement with affected population.
- Best practices on scaling up U-Report techniques during emergencies, and templates of partnership agreements.
- Through the emergency preparedness process, improvements are made in the emergency preparedness and response capability of UNICEF staff and implementing partners.
- Mobilize broader partnership to support project implementation and communication.
- Organize training and workshop about U-report for internal and external partners during the project implementation.
- Support programme colleagues in meetings with government partners to discuss U-Report feedback or campaigns
- Collect and document good practices from project implementation and share with the project team and UNICEF community.
- Weekly progress reports on the deliverables send to direct supervisor and U-Report team in Abuja
- Support the implementation of text and voice messaging to enhance engagement with the affected population
- Coordinate collection, communication and feedback to affected population on the humanitarian programme being delivered by UNICEF.Â
- Engage with local partners including National Orientation Agency, University of Maiduguri and NYSC and develop project work plan.
- Provide reports and data analytics to programme colleagues. Work with technical vendors to provide improved dashboards where requested.
Academic Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience and Competencies
- A good understanding of UNICEF programs and policy, including knowledge of technology for developments programs.
- Good understanding of development issues,
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as to transfer knowledge and skills
- Experience of working within teams
- Strong writing, communication skills
- Fluency in written and verbal English, and local dialect (Hausa, Kanuri, Shuwa etc) Residence and work experience in Nigeria, current or past, is advantageous
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Communication, Data Management, or any other related field.
- 5 years working experience in community engagement and data management
- Experience using online dashboards for data analysis
- Experience using Rapidpro
- Knowledge of U-Report is an added asset
- Expert level experience of using Microsoft Excel.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th September, 2018
- All applicants should quote an all inclusive fee in their application
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process