The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We are recruiting to fill the position below
Job Title: Radio (& Switchboard) Operator SSA4
Requisition ID: 59726
- This job is found in Country Offices (COs), Area (AOs) and Field (FOs) Offices. Job holders are based in Radio Rooms and typically report to an Information Technology Officer, Security Officer, or the designate.
- As required, they may work with UNDSS Radio Room, especially in case of security incidents.
- This job may require to work different shifts and report for duty on short notice.
- At this level, job holders work in a team under minimal supervision and are expected to produce organised and accurate reports and technical work.
- To support telecommunications services in order to facilitate efficient implementation of security processes and procedures.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Coordinate with WFP Security staff and/or UNDSS Radio Room, to facilitate accurate and efficient security-related information flow following established standard operating procedures.
- Responsible for monitoring and channelling all radio communications including tracking of WFP vehicle and staff movement, to ensure efficient 24-hour coverage of telecommunications services.
- Maintain inventory and provide recommendations for potential improvements, to support efficient planning and keep WFP telecommunications equipment operational.
- Create and maintain databases (e.g. lists of call signs, addresses, telephone numbers, wardens, etc.), to ensure accurate information is available at all times.
- Follow established emergency response processes and procedures, to ensure prompt assistance in case of emergencies.
- Produce regular and ad hoc reports including daily radio checks, and assist in preparation and dispatch of the summary of security incidents and other information to staff, to facilitate accurate, efficient and concise communication and information flow.
- Provide efficient support and training to users on telecommunications equipment and procedures including Minimum Operating Security Standards (MOSS) requirements, to ensure effective use of telecommunications equipment.
4Ps Core Organisational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Technical training in communication equipment or other work related areas.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in telecommunications/radio operations, information technology, or other relevant field of work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Good knowledge in the telecommunication operations and procedures and high standard computer literacy.
- Ability to operate and maintain telecommunications equipment including installation works.
- Ability to prioritize a heavy workload, demonstrate judgement, initiative, alertness and emotional stability, especially in emergency situations.
- Good coordination and control skills to act swiftly and adequately in case of emergencies and resolve operational issues promptly.
- High sense of discretion and integrity.
- Client orientation and ability to establish effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.
- Good communication skills; ability to provide short briefings and communications clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to multi-task, and respond simultaneously and in a timely fashion to demanding job requirements.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Language: Fluency (read/write/speak) in English Language
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence &work permits) are eligible to apply for this position
- Applications must be submitted online and in English langauge only.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to disqualification of the concerned candidate.
Application Deadline: 22nd July, 2017.