FINCA is helping create pathways out of poverty through its worldwide network of 22 subsidiaries in Africa, Eurasia, the Greater Middle East, and Latin America. After more than a quarter century of leadership, FINCA’s outreach is among the broadest and most comprehensive of today’s microfinance networks. We are committed to providing the best possible service to our clients so that they can build successful businesses while ensuring they are protected from unnecessary risks. FINCA has always focused its service on one key client group – those living at 50 percent below the poverty line and the rural poor.
Job Title: In-House Legal Counsel, FINCA Nigeria
Job Location: Imo
FINCA is recruiting for a highly-motivated and hands-on In-House Legal Counsel who thrives in dynamic environments to be part of the pioneer team for FINCA’s regulated microfinance bank start-up in Owerri, Nigeria.
The In-House Legal Counsel reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for legal support to the operations of the affiliate, with special emphasis on the corporate, banking and corporate finance aspects. In coordination with FINCA’s Office of the General Counsel, the ILC will be responsible for reviewing and preparing contracts and other corporate and legal documents, analyzing the tax consequences of the operations and transactions in which the affiliate participates, ensuring compliance with banking and microfinance applicable legislation and regulation, representing the affiliate before the regulator, competent courts and other authorities as well as ensuring compliance with labor and employment obligations.
- Complying with banking and microfinance regulation applicable to the activities and operations of the subsidiary (20%)
- Providing legal support with respect to other areas of the operations of the subsidiary (25%)
- Representing the subsidiary before courts and administrative Agencies (15%)
- Implementing and supporting good corporate governance, anticipating and mitigating legal Risk (20%)
- Providing legal assistance to the corporate finance operations and transactions of the subsidiary (20%)
- LLB, Authorized for Practice of Law in Nigeria
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar position
- Experience in financial/banking sector will be an added advantage
- Fluency in English required, Igbo or other local language skills strongly desirable.
- Banking regulatory experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in Litigation and Labor Law Preferred, Experience in Corporate Law, Experience in Banking Environment, Strong interpersonal skills, Proactive and logical approach
- Commitment to establishing a successful function within a growing organization
- Willingness to relocate to Owerri, Nigeria
- Enterprising and self-driven personality with the ability to adapt and acquire new skills
- Highly attentive to detail with excellent organizational and documentation skills
- Results-oriented, with the ability to drive projects from inception to execution stages
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Strong fit to FINCA’s desired corporate culture and values, and is committed to furthering FINCA’s mission and vision. In particular, must demonstrate a commitment to transparency and integrity
- Understands the needs of a start-up, with willingness and ability to perform duties beyond the scope of work
Mode Of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 31st October, 2013